Election success would give SNP mandate on Brexit talks - Nicola Sturgeon
- Nicola Sturgeon and Carwyn Jones hold Brexit talks via @BBCNews#Economy #Wales #Scotland #StopBrexit
- Nicola Sturgeon is currently making an important tactical decision regarding Scotland’s future.She has decided not to implement the legislation for independence immediately and is instead refocusing the Scottish government’s effort to securing Scotland’s place at the Brexit negotiating table.There will be a referendum at the end of the Brexit negotiations, that mandate is completely solid. For those who are doubting the Scottish government’s position, imagine if Nicola had set a date for independence referendum today. People would have switched off and we’d face media scrutiny for months and the opposition would continue to pedal the ‘Get back to the day job’ nonsense.Now the ball is entirely in the opposition’s court and they need to be seen to get behind the Scottish government or face looking as if they aren’t wanting to protect Scotland’s best interests.The only thing that Scottish Labour and the Scottish Tories mentioned on the run up to the General Election was an independence referendum. Now that the referendum has been positioned behind the Brexit negotiations it takes the wind out their sails.Nicola promises a refreshed government after the Summer period as she says they will be looking to introduce radial new policies. I can only guess what these policies could be but there are a few that have been in the works for a while. It would definitely be good to see Scotland being the first country in the world to introduce free feminine hygiene products and I would really like to see a Scottish investment bank being created.We’ll have to wait and see but I’m quite happy with the re-positioning today.
- SCOTLAND POLITICS: UK Brexit Customs Union Plan 'Daft': Sturgeon Nicola Sturgeon posted an initial reaction to the customs...
- A question for you, what does Theresa May want almost as much as the right to trigger Article 50? The answer, the ability to manage the media coverage. So this morning the Prime Minister will probably be fuming over her cornflakes as she sees how Nicola Sturgeon has upstaged her and stolen the headlines.Brexit is deeply unpopular. The Government may be racing to kickstart the process on behalf of the 52% who voted to leave but the 48% who preferred to remain are being ignored and left behind. So Theresa May’s team know they need a clear media landscape on which to tell their story, to spin it as hard as they can to manage a positive and supportive narrative. So Nicola Sturgeon’s theft of that media landscape has totally buggered Number 10’s plans.It was a quick reaction by Downing Street to delay triggering article 50 until the end of the month rather than pressing the nuclear Brexit button today. Nicola Sturgeon pulled off a masterstroke by announcing a second Scottish independence referendum yesterday afternoon. She did so before the Brexit bill had completed its course through Westminster but she knew it was a foregone conclusion so faced very little risk in pulling her own trigger first.In doing so she secured the media spotlight ahead of the Prime Minister. It means for a day or so Scottish independence will be in the news, endlessly debated, picked apart and scrutinised. It doesn’t really matter that the Scottish First Minister doesn’t actually have ultimate authority over an independence referendum, the story will be enough for Nicola Sturgeon to capitalise on the news, promote her reasoning for independence and crucially to raise funds and support to fight a campaign.Mrs May can decide whether to allow or forbid a second indyref and has already indicated she will decline it, at least until after Brexit. Here too Ms Sturgeon has played a blinder by suggesting the date for indyref2 should be between Autumn 2018 and Spring 2019, i.e. before the UK has formally left the EU, albeit possibly quite close to that cliff edge date. Regardless of whether you agree with Scottish independence, or Scexit, Nicola Sturgeon’s timing and mastery of the media message are brilliant. Naturally some newspapers don’t pull their punches when describing what she has done. The Daily Mail takes a typically jaundiced view of someone who has interfered in its plan for Armageddon, sorry Brexit, saying in its headline ‘Hands off our Brexit, Nicola!’.Nicola Sturgeon would have anticipated how her announcement would be treated by various media outlets. She knows just as well as Theresa May that she won’t get universal applause. But she also knows that when media is poised pen in hand to write and analyse the biggest story of the week, the month, the year so far, crashing that party to usurp the host guarantees her acres of coverage. Just as Theresa May will be scowling over her cornflakes this morning in Number 10, Nicola Sturgeon will be beaming over her porridge in Bute House. It won’t matter whether Theresa May accedes to her referendum request, she has got the headlines, she has delivered on her election promise and she has set the ball rolling. Fair play to Nicola Sturgeon, it’s back of the net stuff.
- Nicola Sturgeon promises second independence referendum: 'There is too much at stake for Brexit to be imposed on Scotland'
- Nicola Sturgeon to meet Welsh First Minister Carwyn Jones to discuss repeal bill#Brexit #Wales #Scotland BluKIP Nonsense ❄ (@UKIPNFKN) August 22, 2017via Twitter
- Sturgeon to apologise for gay men convictions Image copyright Getty Images The first minister is to apologise on behalf of the Scottish government to gay men convicted of now-abolished sexual offences.Nicola Sturgeon will make the apology at Holyrood on 7 November to coincide with new legislation giving an automatic pardon to those affected.The legislation was promised by Ms Sturgeon when she presented her programme for government in… View On WordPress
- Nicola Sturgeon sets out Scottish income tax options Image copyright Scottish Government The Scottish government has set out a range of options for future income tax rates ahead of budget negotiations.First Minister Nicola Sturgeon published a discussion paper on rates, posing “tough questions” about rises.The paper details the potential impact of tax plans advanced by the SNP and by opposition parties, and sets out tests by which these can be… View On WordPress
StacTheresa May Meets Nicola Sturgeon for Brexit Talks Prime Minister May told Scotland she believed "with all my heart" in keeping the U.K. together.Nicola Sturgeon holds talks with Theresa May on Brexit The Scottish First Minister arrived at No10 where she said she will demand 'clarity' from the PM Britain's departure from the bloc.Devolved administrations `cut out´ of key Brexit talks, says Nicola Sturgeon Ms Sturgeon called on the UK Government to make good on its promise to give the devolved administrations a "genuine role" in EU exit talks.Nicola Sturgeon calls Brexit talks a ‘slow-motion car crash’ First minister keeps options open on Scottish independence voteNicola Sturgeon: I have indyref2 mandate until 2021 Nicola Sturgeon has insisted she still has a mandate to hold a second Scottish independence referendum before the next Holyrood election in 2021.Nicola Sturgeon: I have mandate to hold indyref2 by 2021 The SNP leader says she stands by her comment that a second vote is 'highly likely'.Indyref2 “not dependent” on Brexit, says Nicola Sturgeon SNP leader, Nicola Sturgeon, insisted a second independence referendum was “not dependent” on Brexit at the party’s conference in Glasgow yesterday.Nicola Sturgeon: 'Brexit Is a Right-Wing Tory Takeover' Scotland's first minister warns that an EU exit would lead to a right-wing power grab.Nicola Sturgeon to Table Single Market Brexit Plans Scottish government will table plans this week.Nicola Sturgeon to discuss Brexit repeal Bill with Welsh First Minister Scotland's First Minister will meet her Welsh counterpart in Edinburgh to discuss their opposition to the Brexit repeal Bill.What Next For Nicola Sturgeon's SNP After Their General Election Pummeling?Nicola Sturgeon to give free childcare to under-fives by 2020 Nicola Sturgeon will today unveil plans to spend £840 million a year on “transformational” plans to introduce a system of full-time state childcare as she set her sights on another decade in power.Nicola Sturgeon urges new consensus on boosting Holyrood powers amid Brexit 'threat' Nicola Sturgeon has called for a new cross-party consensus on boosting the powers of Holyrood in the face of Brexit "threatening the underpinning principle" of devolution.May invites Sturgeon to Brexit talksNicola Sturgeon: Catalonia referendum ‘cannot be ignored’Nicola Sturgeon: Focus is on the next ten years and beyond Nicola Sturgeon will today unveil plans to spend £840 million a year on “transformational” plans to introduce a system of full-time state childcare as she set her sights on another decade in power.Nicola Sturgeon: Need for independence has never been greater The First Minister has said the need for Scottish independence has ‘arguably never been greater’ as she opened the annual SNP conference in Glasgow on Sunday.SNP’s Nicola Sturgeon: A Potential Kingmaker From Scotland A Potential Kingmaker From Scotland Scottish National Party leader Nicola Sturgeon backs Labour leader Ed Miliband for prime minister, but could end up helping David Cameron back into office in Thursday’s U.K. election.Nicola Sturgeon: BBC should accelerate progress on 'unacceptable' pay gap The BBC's gender pay gap is "unacceptable" and the broadcaster should "accelerate progress" towards making wage packets more equal, according to Scotland's First Minister.Nicola Sturgeon pokes fun at Theresa May with Strepsils gag Nicola Sturgeon poked fun at Theresa May yesterday during the Scottish National Party (SNP) conference by turning up with a packet of Strepsils.Nicola Sturgeon 'concern' over images from CataloniaNicola Sturgeon, Britain's Most Passionate Politician No other politician ranks in the top 20.Jim Sillars brands Nicola Sturgeon ‘out of her depth’ Nicola Sturgeon has been branded "out of her depth" as SNP leader and lacking "political nous" by former party Deputy leader Jim Sillars.Nicola Sturgeon: We will always make the case for independence
AC senPast population imposing election results to future population - BrexitWhat to give the weird guy who talks of darkness? So I just wondered my way to huntsman's copse and there is this guy who just talks about his obsession to darkness but say if 'you have the gift' he'll do something, what exactly so I give the guy?Why are leave voters angry about proposed plans to give remain voters individual EU Citizenship after Brexit?How does the name you give your game affect its success? I have been doing my third playthrough to find some answers to some of the questions on here, so have been leaving everything with its default name. For example; Game Engine #2 Game #17 etc... ...I'm looking for texts and talks where Zizek talks about Mimetic Theory of Rene Girard I'm looking for texts and talks, where Zizek responds to the Mimetic Theory of Rene Girard. Also the other way around would be interesting.What is the meaning of this sentence? (he talks about Plato as an old lover talks about his beloved) Would you explain the meaning and structure of this sentence? "he talks about Plato as an old lover talks about his beloved" My question is Bold part(lover talks about). ....he talks about (Pluto = ...