Northern Ireland could stay in customs union after Brexit – Verhofstadt
- [26-11] #Brexit #NorthernIrelandTo stay in the Single Market or Customs Union fr would solve problems.Northern Ireland…
- [25-11] #Brexit: Downing Street back away from saying Northern Ireland's customs union membership was up…
- [05-12] David Davis vows Northern Ireland will not be 'left behind' in EU single market or customs union with softer Brexit…
- [21-11] Just 12% of MPs Vote to Stay In Customs Union.Staying in the EU Customs Union is not #Brexit.It’s good to see an ove
- [05-02] Make no mistake, the withdrawal from the Customs Union will yet again put the Northern Ireland situation in severe…
- [15-08] UK Government #Brexit #customs proposals published today - section on Ireland -Northern Ireland land #border:
- [29-11] #Newsnight If Northern Ireland remains is some kind of Customs Union, then it means Scotland and Wales should also rema
- [16-08] This move might ease the situation in the Northern Ireland. At least for now. #Brexit #Customs #Immigration
- [19-08] UK's #Brexit position papers on customs and Northern Ireland "were widely welcomed, even though they are aspirational and lac
- [15-08] Government will propose "a temporary customs union" b/t UK & EU later this morn to avoid cliff edge once UK leaves EU Customs Union #Brexit
- [09-12] We're going to de facto have a soft Brexit on single market and customs union , thank to #Ireland and #DUP.How does…
- [05-08] "Ireland floats special EU-UK customs union as way to break #Brexit logjam" -
- [14-08] #Brexit papers: Customs arrangements on Tues, Northern Ireland on Weds from @DExEUgov (is what I hear)
- [14-08] OR... we could just stay in the one we're already in! - #Brexit: UK suggests 'temporary customs union' with EU
- [02-02] UK Trade Minister: ’Very Difficult’ to Stay in Any EU Customs Union after Brexit
- [16-08] Only way to avoid this disruption is for UK to stay in the customs union after #Brexit, says @HywelPlaidCymru
- [15-08] What the customs union is and why it matters if we stay in it for a short while after Brexit - WalesOnline
- [13-08] 'No answers!' Labour lord calls for UK to REMAIN in customs union in Ireland swipe at PM #Brexit
- [24-08] Sanity demands we stay in customs union
#Brexit #Farming #Agriculture
- [14-08] #UK wants temporary #EU customs union. Why not just stay in EU? There's no #Brexit benefit as UK firms don't export
- [10-11] Brexit: EU says North must stay in customs union to avoid hard Border
- [02-12] Would be nice if the UK could stay in the single market and the customs union, but I'm not hopeful #brexit
- [16-08] U.K leave the trade agreement and customs union then just ship all our goods to #Ireland and transfer everything to a borderless N.I #brexit
- [15-08] How can UK leave a customs union (with the #EU) and then join a customs union with the EU? #Brexit #ElonEcon111
- [14-08] When is a Customs Union not a Customs Union? Answer: when it's temporary.
- [17-08] The new customs union that is not a customs union, carefully shredded by @IanDunt
- [04-08] '#Brexit could DAMAGE jobs and livelihoods' Irish PM pleads for UK to stay in customs union
- [14-08] EU agriculture chief calls on UK to stay in customs union via @FT
#Brexit #Farming #StopBrexitNow
- [16-08] Does the govt not see that a borderless zone between Ireland and UK undermines customs union and single market? Ridiculously naive. #Brexit
- [01-11] British firms 'could use Northern Ireland to stay in EU after Brexit'
#Brexit #UKMfg #UKIP
- [23-09] British Prime Minister Theresa May: UK will not stay in single market or customs union after Brexit #florencespeech
- [08-10] #peston poll: only c 30% #Tories MPs want to stay in Single Market + Customs Union. They can't be party of business let alone many #brexit
- [15-08] Sunday: There can be no temporary customs union.
Monday: We'd like to suggest a temporary customs union.
What a bunch of ?.
- [27-11] BREXIT/IRELAND: Brexit has blown open the unreconciled divisions in Northern Ireland / #Brexit #Ireland #StopBrexit
- [11-08] If UK leaves Customs Union a customs border is inevitable #brexit
- UK seeks interim customs deal to avoid Brexit trade chaosThe British government is proposing an interim customs agreement with the European Union after Brexit to allow trade to continue as freely as possible once the UK leaves the EU.The Brexit Minister David Davis says that under the plan, existing customs arrangements would broadly stay in place during an interim period.The UK has said it will leave the EU’s Customs Union – its tariff-free trading…View On WordPress
- Ireland threatens to block Britain’s plans for Brexit transition deal accusing ministers of being ‘delusional’Ireland has threatened to block Britain’s plans for a two-year transition period after Brexit amid a furious row over customs arrangements. Phil Hogan, the Republic’s EU commissioner, said that Ireland could be the “biggest victim of this mess” and accused the UK of “high-level delusion”. Leo Varadkar, the Irish Prime Minister, has called for Britain to stay in the Customs Union and warned that…View On WordPress
- Britain Ready to Release Brexit Proposals[ad_1] LONDON — The British government is fighting back against criticism that it is divided and unprepared for Brexit, announcing it will publish a set of detailed proposals on customs arrangements, the status of the Ireland-Northern Ireland border and other issues. The Department for Exiting the European Union said Sunday that it would release the first set of position papers this week, more…View On WordPress
- The UK wants an invisible border with Ireland after Brexit – here’s how it might workWhy all the panic about the border? If you drove to the border between Northern Ireland and the Republic of Ireland tomorrow, you might have some trouble in finding it. The 310-mile crossing is marked only by discreet road signs, while there are no customs checks and certainly no passport inspections. But Britain’s decision to quit the European Union has sparked panic in some circles that the…View On WordPress
- Can ‘Invisible Borders’ be trusted? Or will it become a dastardly 'smugglers’ paradise’? Britain seeks Brexit without borders for Northern IrelandBritain has said there should be no border posts or immigration checks between Ireland and the British province of Northern Ireland after Brexit, in a paper that attempts to resolve one of the most complex aspects of its departure from the European Union.
- David Davis refuses to rule out paying for access to customs union during Brexit transitionDavid Davis has refused to rule out payments to the EU for a temporary customs union arrangement after the UK leaves the bloc. The Brexit Secretary has announced that Britain will seek to retain a customs union with the EU for at least two years after Brexit to prevent border chaos. He said the transitional period would last around 2 years, but failed to set out how much it could cost. EU chief…View On WordPress
- This could include a “temporary customs union” after Brexit to prevent border problems as the UK leaves the EU.Countries in the customs union don’t impose tariffs - taxes on imports - on each other’s goods.The customs union document is the first of a series of papers to be published by the UK government on key negotiation issues.A ‘streamlined’ borderAccording to the newly-published government paper, the UK could ask Brussels to establish a “temporary customs union” after it leaves the EU in March 2019.So, for example, a 10% tariff is imposed on some cars imported from outside the customs union, while 7.5% is imposed on roasted coffee. I am a bot written by a Mathematician Posted at Tue Aug 15 10:20:34 2017
- FARAGE: BREXIT BETRAYAL IS NOW UK GOVERNMENT POLICYFARAGE: BREXIT BETRAYAL IS NOW GOVERNMENT POLICYNigel reacts furiously to government’s announcement on customs union.WESTMONSTERBrexit Leader Nigel Farage has laid into the government’s position on the customs union that will mean the UK limited and stuck inside the same system for years to come after Brexit in 2019.The plan, which was championed by Remainer Philip Hammond, will see…View On WordPress
Northern Ireland could stay in customs union after Brexit – Verhofstadt
Is there British military bases in Northern ireland?
Northern Ireland? Do you know how many 'Brits' in Northern Ireland have applied for Irish passports since the Brexit referendum? It has risen by 70%.
It might be that not only Scotland votes to leave the Union if/when Brexit goes through.
No need for the Republic to invade, the Northerners might make up their own minds.
After all, they don't get a mention in the Olympics. It's 'Team GB'.
do you think this is the End of the Union between Scotland and England because of the EU vote Scotland voted to stay England voted to leave?
My gut senses tell me that another Scottish referendum could return a result to stay with the UK. I'd personally vote to leave, but I'm not sure that enough of my fellow Scots feel a strong enough desire to cut out Westminster.
In my mind, it isn't a desire to be rid of England and the English. That is an absurd stance. I just don't like how the union works (or rather doesn't work). Brexit is a disaster that could damage the whole UK.
There will always be a kind of union between Scotland and England, even with independence for Scotland. There is too much shared history and blood, to say, we will not talk and cooperate. It would just be a different kind of relationship. And lets not forget Wales and Northern Ireland are partners in this union too.
Why is the British media anti Irish lately?
The Brits recenly have gotten angry about their own people, because they wanted the United Kindom (of Wales, England, Scotland, and NORTHERN Ireland) to leave the EU. No British politician wanted it, but a public vote is a public vote, and if they want to halfways keep their face, they must start the "Brexit" prcess; the European Union has been lenient on them long enough.
What is not solved, however, is the "Irish question". In my opinion, it would be fair to ask the people in Ulster whether they want to join the EU and thus, the Republic of Ireland, or stay with Britain.
Word, Nazia, H; Uk left EU! Whats this all about?
Not all EU countries are in the Union. The Union has 28 member countries only.
Without any offense please, while living in Dubai is an excuse for you not knowing anything, why do you ask others living in the UAE and Pakistan? I could answer your questions, but to be honest, that would be way to much to write.
Offer: you google European Union, advantages/disadvantages/Brexit and if there is something you don't understand, come back and ask a specific question.
Regarding restrictions, one can assume at the moment only. It will take around 2 years to come to agreements.
Another question is, if there will be found an agreement that Scotland and Ireland stay members. Nobody knows yet.
I personally can't see any pros regarding the Brexit. Just a lot of disadvantages, which will not only have a negative effect economically, but also politically.
What advantages does the UK/England have by keeping Scotland and Northern Ireland in union?
Well Scotland is good for England because they have oil in the North Sea. If Scotland left, Scotland could keep all the oil for itself and England wouldn't get any of it. Northern Ireland is of no benefit to England, it is a burden if anything. The English Government sends out a 10b Pound block grant out to Northern Ireland every year just to keep the country going and Northern Ireland doesn't put anything back into the economy. England would be much better off if Northern Ireland left the union. England and Scotland however, are better together.
Could Brexit inspire other countries to leave the EU union?
No, Brexit will be the guinea pig for telling if a country will succeed or collapse after leaving.
As an N.Ireland citizen, the negatives far outweigh the positives of Brexit. Most of our agriculture industry relies heavily on the EU for funding and distribution. Northern Ireland's border with Ireland is going to cause havoc with the peace process if there's a return to the hard border. N.I science and engineering will likely see funding cuts as that comes from EU as well.
Brexit was not a democratic decision. England has the largest population by far. It was not a UK decision, if it were then the individual countries would have been able to make their own decision. May have meant the end of the UK but that would have been proper democracy.
Northern Ireland could stay in customs union after Brexit – Verhofstadt European parliament negotiator says Irish border solution is needed before talks can progress, as unionists oppose special status Northern Ireland could continue to be in the single market or customs union after the UK leaves the EU, the European parliament’s Brexit negotiator has said. But Guy Verhofstadt’s proposal for special status for the region was met with immediate opposition from unionists who said they would never accept any deal that made Northern Ireland different from the rest of the UK. Continue reading...
U.K. to Rule Out Extending EU Customs Area to Northern Ireland After Brexit U.K. to Rule Out Extending EU Customs Area to Northern Ireland
The U.K. will on Wednesday rule out extending the European Union’s customs area to encircle Northern Ireland after Brexit, saying such a move wouldn’t be “constitutionally or economically viable.”
The UK has conceded to EU negotiators that there will be no divergence of the rules covering the European Union single market and customs union on the island of Ireland post Brexit
Northern Ireland will stay in single market after Brexit, EU says UK negotiators braced for major row over EU’s draft withdrawal agreement UK negotiators have been warned that the Northern Ireland will, in effect, remain in the customs union and single market after Brexit to avoid a hard border. The uncompromising legal language of the draft agreement is likely to provoke a major row, something all parties to the negotiations have been trying to avoid.
Should the UK stay in a customs union with the EU? Brexit Means... podcast The Brexit Means… team look at the staying in the customs union and what we learned from Emmanuel Macron visit Subscribe on Apple Podcasts , Mixcloud , Acast and join the discussion on Twitter and Brexitpodcasts@theguardian With technical talks under way in Brussels on the Brexit transition phase, which it’s fair to say most people believe is likely to be agreed by the end of March, this week we discuss a question that’s increasingly being asked, not least by British business: should the UK stay in a customs union with the EU? And we ch
Brexit: EU says North must stay in customs union to avoid hard Border Coveney is encouraged that EU’s position is in sync with the Irish Government
Brexit: Northern Ireland may stay in single market under border deal tabled by London
Britain's 'naive' plan for open Northern Ireland customs border ruled out by Ireland's customs authority
Brexit’s Northern Ireland Problem Brexit’s Northern Ireland Problem
Membership in the EU was a crucial element of the peace process and can’t easily be undone.
Northern Ireland 'Should Stick With EU After Brexit' The province voted to remain in the EU referendum, and its future is uncertain.
Northern Ireland Could Be Brexit's Biggest Casualty If the ever-stalling Brexit negotiations range in character from bewildering to boring, there was at least something familiar about them this week. To wit, the idea that a border wall could be coming, and that someone else was going to pay for it. It wasn’t President Trump offering his take on the U.K.’s impending exit from the EU. Rather, it was British lawmaker Kate Hoey, stating her own vision for what should happen if a hard border returned between Ireland (part of the EU) and Northern Ireland (part of the U.K.). A vocal Brexit supporte
Brexit deal gets a qualified welcome in Northern Ireland Sinn Féin says phase one report lacks clarity. ‘The devil is in the detail,’ says UUP leader
Martin says Northern Ireland should still have MEPs after Brexit ?Why would people object to Northern Ireland continuing to have representation ?’
UK must stay in EU customs union
Hogan says a border in Ireland is inevitable if UK leaves customs union EU agriculture commissioner says really tough Brexit negotiations have yet to come
Northern Ireland Teeters on ‘Brexit’ Front Line Northern Ireland Teeters on ‘Brexit’ Front Line
As the only part of the U.K. to share a land border with another European Union country, Northern Ireland could see an outsize impact if next week’s referendum results in a decision to leave the bloc.
Northern Ireland May Retain Special Status After Brexit Like Scotland, Northern Ireland favors a separate status with the single market after the UK leaves the European Union.
Theresa May to Assure Northern Ireland on Brexit Talks Theresa May to Assure Northern Ireland on Brexit Talks
British Prime Minister Theresa May on Monday will travel to Belfast, where she will underline her commitment to consulting with Northern Ireland on upcoming talks over the U.K.’s exit from the European Union.
Owen Smith calls for Northern Ireland to stay IN the EU Owen Smith made the extraordinary intervention on the fringes of the Labour conference last night. It will infuriate unionists determined to keep Northern Ireland part of Britain.
UK weighing customs union deal after Brexit Move could limit loss of EU trade but represent big climbdown by May
Post-Brexit North ‘must be in customs union’ Peter Hain: British position on North is ‘delusional, contradictory and potentially very damaging’
UK secretly considering customs union deal after Brexit Officials say discussions are ‘live’ in Whitehall but Downing Street denies plan
Brexit: Secret UK Customs Union deal?
Brexit weekly briefing: in or out of the customs union? Businesses and economic realists want in; Brexiteers want out. Plus a row over ‘fiddled’ figures Welcome to the Guardian’s weekly sign up here . You can also catch up with our become a Guardian Supporter . Thank you.
Immigration check between Northern Ireland/Republic of Ireland and Great Britain
Do immigration checks exist between Northern Ireland and England/Scotland? (not just for flights but also ferry/bus/train)Do immigration checks exist between the Republic of Ireland and England/Scotland?
Implications in crossing the Ireland/Northern Ireland land border for an American
My fiancee is a us citizen, she recently arrived at dublin airport where her passport was stamped with a 90 day visa. However her final destination is Northern Ireland (where i live) she needs a Uk border stamp. As she hasn't gotten the stamp is she here illegally? She will be staying with me for around 5 months which is more than the 90 days she was given in Ireland. So when we depart from Dublin to go back to America, they will think she has been staying in ireland illegally. Is there anyway around this problem?
Travelling to Northern Ireland from Republic of Ireland
I am a non EU National and currently residing in Ireland. I intend to travel to Northern Ireland (i.e. Belfast) by road and also possess a UK Standard Visitor Visa. Is there any Immigration Control where I have to stop and get my Passport Stamp if I travel by road?
Driving in Ireland and Northern Ireland
I am going on a road trip for ten days in the Republic of Ireland and Northern Ireland. I read the various posts about adapting to driving on the left side. I am aware of the difference in speed indication in km/h and mph. I also read about speed limits and drunk driving laws. I booked a rental car with fully comprehensive insurance in Dublin. I am planning to got to Northern Ireland and back.My question is, are there any other things to care about when driving in Ireland? E.g. (dangerous) road conditions, radar/speed control, local driving habits, fuel/gas stations (payment/credit cards), animals, driving license (German), weather, etc.?(In Iceland, for example, one has to pay for every animal (e.g., sheep) damaged in car accidents.)
Is there a clear statement from the DUP on their position on the post-Brexit border with Ireland?
How is wee used in Northern Ireland?
I hear people use it a lot, but I'm not really clear on its meaning. This site says
Wee: Small. Used by every single Northern Irish person. “Have a wee bun”, “Would you like a wee bag?”
And from ...
- Dr Marjorie 'Mo' Mowlam received the third World Citizenship Award in recognition of her contribution to building peace in Northern Ireland as the British Secretary of State for Northern Ireland. La Dra. Marjorie 'Mo' Mowlam recibió el tercer Premio a la Ciudadanía Mundial en reconocimiento de su contribución a la paz en Irlanda del Norte en calidad de Secretaria de Estado para Irlanda del Norte.
- John Hume's contribution to the peace process in Northern Ireland is without question the basis on which the Good Friday Agreement, which we all hope is going to lead to long and lasting peace in Northern Ireland, was founded. La contribución de John Hume al proceso de paz en Irlanda del Norte es sin duda la base sobre la que descansa el Acuerdo del Viernes Santo, que, según esperamos todos, conducirá a una paz larga y duradera en Irlanda del Norte.
- Three ideas are contained in this nebulous term: a customs union, coordination of accession to the WTO, and a currency union. Este término nebuloso contiene tres ideas: una unión aduanera, la coordinación de las adhesiones a la OMC y una unión monetaria.
- Northern Ireland Irlanda del Norte
- Antrim, Northern Ireland, 09:00hrs ANTRIM, IRLANDA DEL NORTE 9:00 AM
- Northern Ireland Association for Mental Health tel. Asociación de la salud mental para Irlanda del Norte tel.
- 41 Harney (Northern Ireland) misses the target. 41 El disparo de Harney (Irlanda del Norte) no ve puerta.
- He is an elected member of the Northern Ireland Assembly.
- Agriculture is Northern Ireland's largest industry. La agricultura es la mayor industria de Irlanda del Norte.
- Neither was the terrorism which continued for decades in Northern Ireland. Tampoco lo era el terrorismo que persistió durante décadas en Irlanda del Norte.
Brexit: The Movie: Brexit: The Movie is a 2016 British documentary film written and directed by Martin Durkin, advocating for the withdrawal of the United Kingdom from the European Union, commonly called Brexit.
Ireland women's national rugby union team: The Ireland Women's rugby union team represents both the Republic of Ireland and Northern Ireland in the rugby union.
Córas Iompair Éireann: Córas Iompair Éireann, or CIÉ, is a statutory corporation of the Republic of Ireland, answerable to the Irish Government and responsible for most public transport in Ireland and – jointly with its Northern Ireland counterpart, the Northern Ireland Transport Holding Company – the railway service between Ireland and Northern Ireland.
North of Ireland F.C.: North of Ireland Football Club is a former Irish rugby union club that was based in Belfast, Northern Ireland. It was the first rugby club formed in what is now Northern Ireland and only two other clubs - Dublin University and Wanderers - were formed earlier anywhere else in all Ireland.
Northern Ireland border poll, 1973: The Northern Ireland border poll was a referendum held in Northern Ireland on 8 March 1973 on whether Northern Ireland should remain part of the United Kingdom or join with the Republic of Ireland to form a united Ireland.
Union Theological College: Union Theological College is the theological college for the Presbyterian Church in Ireland and is situated in Belfast, Northern Ireland. It was established in 1853 as Assembly's College. The building served as the location for the early Northern Ireland Parliaments.
The college offers a full range of courses in Theology.
BBC One Northern Ireland: BBC One Northern Ireland is a television channel operated by BBC Northern Ireland. It is the Northern Irish variation of the UK-wide BBC One. The service is broadcast in Northern Ireland from Broadcasting House in Belfast.
Dirk Verhofstadt: Dirk Verhofstadt is a Belgian social liberal theorist and brother of former Belgian prime minister Guy Verhofstadt. He has a keen interest in political philosophy, and his philosophical outlook is influenced by Karl Popper, John Stuart Mill, Cesare Beccaria, Thomas Paine, Amartya Sen and Martha Nussbaum.
Daphne Trimble: Daphne Elizabeth Trimble, Lady Trimble, is a Northern Ireland academic and former politician. Having served as a member of the Equality Commission for Northern Ireland, she was appointed as a part-time Commissioner in the Northern Ireland Human Rights Commission in 2008, and publicly opposed its proposals for a Bill of Rights for Northern Ireland.
Roy Bradford: Roy Hamilton Bradford was a Unionist politician in Northern Ireland and a government minister in both the Parliament of Northern Ireland and the 1973 Northern Ireland Assembly.
"Northern Ireland won't stay in EU market, customs after Brexit - UK" -: "Northern Ireland won't stay in EU market, customs after Brexit - UK" -
Brexit - EU paper suggests Northern Ireland stays in customs union (re hard border): Brexit - EU paper...: Brexit - EU paper suggests Northern Ireland stays in customs union (re hard border): Brexit - EU paper suggests Northern Ireland stays in customs union (re hard border) ForexLiveFull coverage #investment #news
Tory in-fighting over Brexit erupted today as Amber Rudd said the UK may stay in a customs union with...: Tory in-fighting over Brexit erupted today as Amber Rudd said the UK may stay in a customs union with the EU – only to be slapped down by Dominic Raab who ruled it out. A row over what Britain’s future relationship with Brussels should look like is