Vikings gather for the Up Helly Aa festival in Lerwick, Shetland Islands
- [10-01] Focus on FestivalsUp Helly Aa in Lerwick, Shetland Islands, UK
- [26-07] Shetland vikings enjoyed a pampering in #Glasgow in prep for Follow the Vikings festival ?
- [20-07] Wet and windy in #Lerwick today #Scotland #Shetland
- [28-09] Let's start our #NationalPoetryDay poem in #Shetland, w/ Jarlshhof & Up Helly Aa. What words does it bring to mind?
- [27-07] Stairway to heaven: Clickimin Broch, Lerwick, #Shetland, #Scotland.
- [16-07] Flybe is proud to serve the #Shetland Islands. Our CEO Christine is visiting the Islands tomorrow. #Flybe #Scotland
- [21-07] It was Celt vs Vikings last night as I had the absolute honour of meeting the legendary Shetland Vikings for dinner
- [24-07] Lerwick, Scotland.
#chingheartjourney #scotland #lerwick @ Lerwick
- [17-07] Our CEO Christine is in the beautiful #Shetland Islands today. If you'd like to say hello let us know! Proud to s
- [10-07] Self catering holiday cottage blog recommendations #Shetland Islands
- [22-07] #Scotland's Highlands & Islands - Orkney & Shetland (PDF Chapter) #lp #travel Lonely Planet
- [16-07] Fancy meeting our CEO @OurmieresChris tomorrow? Christine will be visiting the #Shetland Islands. PM us for details
- [15-07] The Northern Isles of #Orkney and #Shetland. An amazing collection of islands to explore. When will you visit?
- [15-11] The Caledonian Truck Team are heading to the Islands #Lewis #Orkney and #Shetland next week. Get in touch if you wo…
- [15-11] The Caledonian Truck Team are heading to the Islands #Lewis #Orkney and #Shetland next week. Get in touch if you would
- [10-07] Find the Best Hotel Deals on the #Shetland #Islands, #Scotland. Compare prices read reviews before you travel visit
- [16-08] Experiencing Shetland's Viking Fire Festival... ?
- [26-07] Where do Vikings from #Shetland go on their summer holidays? ? ...#Glasgow, of course! Want to see them? ➡️ @FTVikings #
- [20-08] Actors line up for Screenplay Film Festival in Shetland #UK | #RTGNews
- [19-08] Bill Nighy and George MacKay to attend Shetland festival
- [04-10] I'm off to see the Vikings! Stay tuned over the next few days for loads from my first visit to the Shetland Isles!…
- [21-07] #Scotland travel guide - Orkney & Shetland Islands (PDF Chapter) #lp #travel Lonely Planet
- [20-08] #Scotland News - Actors line up for Screenplay Film Festival in Shetland
- [26-07] Vikings have invaded #Glasgow! Find out what the #Shetland horde got up to in our video! #HHA2017 @FlyLoganair
- [15-08] Cracking gig by @MarjoleinR Quite a few Shetlanders in the crowd. Really funny Shetland stories. #Edinburgh #Festival #Fr
- [30-10] Not long till Wordplay - #Shetland Arts’ annual book festival @ShetlandArts #ScotSpirit :
- [16-08] 11 Reasons to Add Shetland to Your #Scotland Itinerary #shetland @VisitScotland @PromoteShetland
- [26-08] #Scotland is home to 60% of Europe's #gannets - they gather in their thousands on Scotland's many rocky islands and clif
- [04-07] Good Morning from Shetland! #scotland #shetland #highlands
- [11-10] Raiders of the North Sea is storming shelves today! Gather your warriors, it’s Raiding Season! #Vikings #workerplacement
- [11-12] NOOOOOOOOOOO!We bid a fond farewell to #Detectorists on Wednesday night ?.So Gather Ye Near & Gather Ye Far as we visit Dan
- [10-01] Focus on FestivalsUp Helly Aa in Lerwick, Shetland Islands, UK
- [15-01] Considered as a paradise for beach lovers, Thailand’s Phi Phi Islands are a group of six stunning islands.…
- Welcome to Lerwick, the most northerly town in the United Kingdom and principle port of the Shetland Islands.
- This is throwback photo from Lerwick in the Shetland Islands in Scotland ?? from my cruise last year. The reason is my new blog...
- National Debt Helpline in Shetland Islands #UK #Debts #Helplines #Shetland #Islands ...
- Online Casino Bonus in Shetland Islands #Shetland #Islands
- Professional Accountants in Shetland Islands #Shetland #Islands
- Mossbank, Shetland #Shetlandislands #shetland #Mossbank #coast #Scotland (at Mossbank, Shetland Islands, United Kingdom)
- was on a trip to Lerwick in Shetland last week with school with Statsraad Lehmkuhl, which is the biggest and oldest ship in...
- Tennis Court Repainting in Shetland Islands | Colour Coating #Tennis #Court #Surface #Repainting #Shetland #Islands...
Vikings gather for the Up Helly Aa festival in Lerwick, Shetland Islands
Can anyone from Scotland help me think up some Scottish names for my new Shetaland Sheepdog puppies?
You could name them after one of the Shetland Islands. The main ones are called "yell" "unst" "fetlar" "papa" "whalsay" "mousa" "fair isle" and "mainland". ( I wouldnt recommend mainland) Lerwick is the main town in the Shetlands and could be a good dog name. If you wanted something very shetlandic you could go for "Jarl" after the viking warriors who ruled Shetland or "Helly" after "up helly ah" the big shetlandic fire festival.
Will Shetland and Orkney get their independence from Scotland?
Good point, thanks for reminding me. Shetland is a Viking island and so too is Orkney - the very names have that ring of the Vikings about them.
Indeed, the world's biggest Viking event is held each year on the Island of Shetland
Up Helly A Lerwick Shetland http://
Shetland Times http://
Welsh Barbarian Savage
What would it mean for the rest of the UK if Scotland became fully independent?
Well, the Shetland islands want to be part of the UK and have said if Scotland became Independant, The Shetland islands would announce Independance and considering the Oil goes to the Shetland Islands, the Shetland isles would be the ones who get the oil.
One thing is for sure though, we would have a Conservative Government for the rest of our lives. Nooooooooo!
ferry timetable aberdeen to lerwick on 2nd of november?
Shetland Islands Tourism, Market Cross, Lerwick, ZE1 0LU: Tel 08701 999440 or go to
You'll find lots of info on transport service and timetables, and a whole lot more!
Which are the coldest cities in the UK?
Inverness is the most northerly city in the UK, and can be quite chilly evn in the summer. If you're willing to include towns, try Ullapool, Wick, Dingwall, Stornoway (Isle of Lewis), Kirkwall (Orkney), or Lerwick (Shetland).
foot passenger ferry fares Scotland?
cross the Clyde or sail to Stornoway or Lerwick?
MacBraynes do most of the ferries in W Scotland. http://
norhern ferries do Orkney and Shetland https://
Wester ferris do Gourock to Dunoon, Stena Cairnryan to Ireland
As Scotland Votes on Independence, Shetland Islands Ponder Own Fate As Scotland Votes, Shetland Ponders Own Fate
Shetlanders are following the Scottish independence campaign as intently as the rest of the U.K. Some even want another vote soon after—on their own independence from Scotland.
Bill Nighy and George MacKay to attend Shetland film festival Popular actors Bill Nighy and George MacKay will be among the special guests attending this year's run of the UK's most northerly film festival.
Devotees gather to take part in festival
[Request] When do rain jackets from North Face and Helly Hansen normally go on sale in Vancouver?
Cambodians gather to mark Festival of the Dead finale
Miao people gather at traditional festival to celebrate harvest
Youth for the Union State festival to gather about 300 participants from Belarus, Russia The 12th edition of the international festival Youth for the Union State will take place in Rostov-on-Don on 13-18 September, BelTA learned from the press service of the Parliamentary Assembly of the Union State of Belarus and Russia.
Maritime festival, a vivacious event in Riau Islands Indonesia, a maritime country with two thirds of its territory as waters, continues to develop its provinces, including the Riau Islands which is currently now holding a vivacious maritime festival.
The festival is ...
Detroit Lions vs. Minnesota Vikings odds: Picks from expert who's 7-1 on Vikings games The Minnesota Vikings visit the Detroit Lions in the first game of the NFL's Thanksgiving Day triple-header. The game opened as a pick' em, which means neither team was favored, but the Vikings are now three-point favorites. The Over-Under, or total number of points Vegas thinks will be scored, is 44.5, down a half-point from where it opened. Before you make any bets on a game like this with so much Vegas odds movement, you'll want to hear what SportsLine Senior Analyst Larry Hartstein has to say. He has his finger on the pulse of Mike Zimmer's
Shetland Ponders Own Fate Shetland Ponders Own Fate
Guide says Shetland site should win Unesco status A TRAVEL guide has named an ancient site on Shetland as the top place in the UK that should next be declared a world heritage site by Unesco.
Shetland’s £55million school ready to welcome pupils Youngsters on Shetland now have a brand new high school following the local authority’s biggest ever building project.
Man charged with road traffic offences after Shetland incident A 26-year-old man has been arrested and charged following an incident in a car park on Shetland.
Giant Shetland field poses challenge for oil firms NORTH Sea-focused EnQuest has revealed that production from a flagship oil development off Shetland has been running below expectations sending its shares plunging around 10 per cent.
UK petrochemical firm Ineos buys stakes in Shetland gas operation
Shetland family find boat carrying messages from school 3,300 miles away By Richard Ashmore
nfl, vikings, minnesota vikings
Stat Predictions - Lions at Vikings: Vikings Predictions
Shetland hotel voted as Scotland’s best by The Good Hotel Guide Burrastow House in Shetland has been voted as the country’s best hotel by The Good Hotel Guide 2018.
Miami’s Hurricane Holdouts Gather With Friends, Family
Miami’s Hurricane Holdouts Gather With Friends, Family
As Hurricane Irma neared Florida, some Miami residents were busy preparing their homes for giant slumbe
Can Vikings d old off gb or should I going looking for another d?
MRW I'm a Vikings fan
Shaman on Vikings. She ate a kid.
How to get from the Faroe Islands to the Shetland Islands
How do I get from the Faroe Islands to the Shetland Islands or the other way round? Is there anything besides a flight via Scotland?
How accurate is the portrayal of vikings in the TV series Vikings
I'm not too worried about the historical accuracy of the events in the tv series, but my question is specific to the portrayal of the viking's way of life, their appearance etc.
I know that we don't ...
Capitalize partial reference to a title? e.g. “…at the Summer Folk Festival. The Festival is…”
Do you capitalize "Festival" in this case?
For example, "She had a great time at the Summer Folk Festival. This year, the Festival featured several amazing acts, such as...".
Or another example, "The ...
"Mid-autumn Festival" and "Moon Festival", Which is better known in English-speaking world?
Today is the Mid-autumn Festival of China and I read an article of a Taiwanese scholar telling that his research finds Moon Festival is more better known to English speakers than Mid-autumn Festival, a coined phrase by Chinese, because some authoritative dicitionaries have the entry of the former but not of the latter. But I want to tell him that in our English textbook co-authored by Chinese and English native authors, we get only Mid-autumn Festival and never knows there is a name as "Moon Festival", perhaps it is a holiday of Indians living in Peru or Venezuela.
Where can I see Shetland ponies on Unst?
I will be spending a couple days on Unst on the Shetland Islands next year. My wife is very keen on seeing some Shetland ponies, and I am wondering how to go about this.My research seems to indicate that Unst is a good place for this. Furthermore it seems that they are roaming freely and one can find them grazing at the roadsides. Now, by randomly looking through some Google Streetview, all I can find is a lot of sheep.So my question is, how do I go about to find Shetland ponies on Unst? Is there a high probability of us finding them at the roadside without looking for them or are there specific places (farms, parks) where one would have to go to find them?
Affordable yacht holiday around Cook Islands / Pacific Islands
Does anyone know any affordable options for some form of yacht / boat holiday around the Cook Islands or other Pacific Islands? I'd really like to explore a bit off the normal beaten path with a bit of island hopping.I guess there might be private smaller yacht owners that occasionally take passengers on-board for a bit of extra cash? Any methods to reach out to such potential providers?
Fishing and sheep raising are the chief economic activities in a group of danish islands that lie northwest of the shetland islands name these islands?
What is the name of a group of Danish Islands that lie northwest of the Shetland Islands?
What are the danish islands that lie to the northwest of the shetland islands?
What islands are northwest of the Shetland islands?
The Faroe Islands.
Where are the Shetland Islands?
The Shetland Islands form an archipelago in northern Scotland and are to the northeast of the Orkney Islands.
What are the Shetland islands animals like?
Where is the shetland islands located?
Off the north coast of Scotland.
Are there any synagogues in the Shetland islands?
I don't think there are any in the islands. No. But I could be wrong...
Longitude and latitude of shetland islands?
The south mainland of the main island cuts through the 60 degree North line and it's approximately 1.2689 degrees West.
Who controls the South Shetland Islands?
Are the shetland islands part of Scotland?
Are the Shetland Islands beautiful places?
Yes they are. Some people that live here don't agree but I personally like the peace and quiet and the natural beauty of the islands.
How far is it from Glasgow Scotland to Burra Shetland Islands?
To get from the centre of Glasgow to Burra, Shetland by car you have to drive from Glasgow to Aberdeen which is about 145miles, then get an over night ferry from Aberdeen to Lerwick in Shetland (leaving 7pm arriving 7am) which is 231 miles and then it is 10 to 12 miles to Burra depending on which part you are going to.Total travelling distance roughly 390 miles and you would need to leave the centre of Glasgow no later than 12 noon to arrive in Burra about 8am the next morning.
How many same-sex couples have married in the Shetland Islands of Scotland?
No such marriages have yet been recorded there since the same-sex marriage law will not take effect until October 2014.
How many villages towns and cities are there on the Shetland Islands?
Lerwick is the only town of any size.
How long would it take from the shetland islands to London on a train?
You can't take a train directly from the Shetland Islands to London. You can't even fly directly between Shetland and London. You could travel by boat from Shetland to Aberdeen and then take a train or fly from there to London or you could fly from Shetland to Edinburgh and either fly or take a train from Edinburgh to London.
What language do people who live on the shetland islands speak?
How many islands are there in the Shetland Islands?
over a hundred
- Came down to Earth off the Shetland Islands 10 years ago. Cayó a la Tierra hace diez años en las islas Shetland.
- the Shetland Islands, the Shetlands las Islas Shetland
- Braer, a Liberian tanker, 26 million gallons off the Shetland Islands. Braer, buque liberiano, 26 millones de galones en las islas Shetland.
- From its bustling harbour, ferries leave for the beautiful islands of Orkney and Shetland. Del bullicioso puerto, salen los feries a las bellas islas de Orkney y Shetland.
- Marquesas Islands, Society Islands (including Tahiti), Tuamotu Islands, Gambier Islands and Austral Islands. Islas Marquesas, archipiélago de la Sociedad (incluida Tahití), islas Tuamotú, islas Gambier e islas Australes.
- The archipelago consists of 41 granitic islands which are the oldest mid-oceanic granite islands on earth and 74 low-lying coral atolls and reef islands which make up the Outer Islands. El archipiélago está formado por 41 islas graníticas, que son las islas oceánicas de ese tipo más antiguas del planeta, y 74 arrecifes y atolones coralinos de baja altitud que constituyen las islas exteriores.
- Every summer, since 1996, we have organized the Festival de Bandes de Gaites Villa de Candas, in which thousands of people from a lot of countries of Europe gather to enjoy a varied representation of the finest bagpipe bands from around the Celtic world. Cada verano, desde el año 1996, viene organizando el Festival de Gaites Villa de Candas, en el que miles de personas procedentes de toda Europa se reúnen para disfrutar de una variada representación de las mejores bandas de gaitas de todo el mundo celta.
- Mahé Island, Praslin Island, La Digue, Frégate and Silhouette; Amirante Islands (including Desroches, Alphonse, Platte and Coëtivy); Farquhar Islands (including Providence); Aldabra Islands and Cosmoledo Islands Isla Mahé, isla Praslin, La Digue, Frégate y Silhouette; islas Amirantes (entre ellas Desroches, Alphonse, Plate y Coëtivy); islas Farquhar (entre ellas Providencia); islas Aldabra e islas Cosmoledo
- I'm much of a make-the-trains-run- on-time kind of guy, I like the gladiatorial arena, two candidates wacking away at each other with a helly ad pie. Yo soy más bien un tipo de haz-que-el- tren-llegue-a-su-hora... el ring de los gladiadores, dos candidatos mirándose mal en un anuncio.
- It comprises one large island, known as Grande Terre, and smaller islands known as the Loyalty Islands, the Bélap Archipelago, the Isle of Pines and Huon Islands. Comprende una isla de gran extensión, Grande Terre, y otras islas menores, denominadas las islas de la Lealtad, el archipiélago Bélap, la isla de Pinos y las islas Huon.
Satellites could be launched from shetland islands' most northern isle - Satellites could be launched from shetland islands' most northern isle For the 600 residents of the most northern island in the Shetlands, it could be the most ...
Men gather at Indian festival of eunuchs and transvestites - Indian hijras or kinner people clap in their signature style, as they gather at the largest festival site of Koovagum - a gathering of transvestites and transgenders ...
MASSIVE 4000 VIKINGS v 14640 ANGLO-SAXONS SURVIVAL BATTLE - Age of Vikings Total War (Attila Mod) - Today a force of 4000 Vikings has been trapped in the town of Canterbury after raiding Kent. A force of 14640 Anglo-Saxons from across Wessex and Merica ...
Minnesota Vikings vs New Orleans Saints: Vikings Fans go wild after Last second Win - Minnesota Vikings vs New Orleans Saints as Vikings Fans go wild after Last second Win The two sides of a last-gasp victory moment Minnesota Vikings fans left delirious by Stefon Diggs winning...
The Vikings Raid and Burn Lindisfarne Monastery - THE VIKINGS SEASON 1 - How rude :O By the way... This raid actually happened in reality. Athelstan says in Old Norse something along the lines of: "Dræb mig ikke" (Modern Danish for: ...
Shetland College UHI: Shetland College is a further and higher education college in Lerwick, Shetland, Scotland. It is part of the University of the Highlands and Islands.
The main campus is located at Gremista, on the outskirts of Lerwick.
Lerwick District Heating and Energy Recovery Plant: Lerwick District Heating and Energy Recovery Plant is a district heating scheme based in Lerwick, Shetland and operated by the Shetland Islands Council. There is an additional input of heat from a private biomass plant. The main offices are located close to the Lerwick Power Station along with a 12 MWh heat accumulator. Heat is not provided from the power station as it is due to be closed.
NHS Shetland: NHS Shetland is one of the fourteen regions of NHS Scotland. It provides healthcare services in Shetland.
NHS Shetland operates two hospitals:
Gilbert Bain Hospital, Lerwick
Montfield Hospital, Lerwick
Lerwick and Bressay Parish Church: Lerwick and Bressay Parish Church is the largest Church of Scotland congregation in Shetland, serving the islands' capital Lerwick and the surrounding area.
Quarff: Quarff is a small village in the Shetland Islands in Scotland. It is located on the main A970 road, 5 miles south of Shetland's only town, Lerwick.
Gulberwick: Gulberwick is a village 2.5 mi southwest of Lerwick, Shetland, Scotland, which contains approximately 200 houses. In recent years the number of houses in the area has increased due to its nearness to Shetland's only town, Lerwick.
Lerwick Town Hall: Lerwick Town Hall is located in central Lerwick, Shetland, Scotland. It was completed in 1884 during a period of expansion in Lerwick due to the wealth the herring industry brought. It is protected as a Category B listed building.
Up Helly Aa: Up Helly Aa refers to any of a variety of fire festivals held annually in the Shetland Islands of Scotland, in the middle of winter to mark the end of the yule season.
Shetland Islands Area Council election, 1974: Elections to the Shetland Islands Council were held on 7 May 1978 as part of Scottish local elections. This was the first election for the all-purpose Shetland Islands Council, as established by the Local Government Act 1973, combining the Lerwick Town Council and the Zetland County Council. 11 seats were uncontested.
Lerwick: Lerwick is the main port of Shetland Islands, Scotland. It is centred 123 miles off the north coast of the Scottish mainland and on the east coast of the Shetland Mainland.
Up Helly Aa Gin from Shetland Reel is amazing. A limited edition Oak-aged Navy Strength Gin to celebrate...: Up Helly Aa Gin from Shetland Reel is amazing. A limited edition Oak-aged Navy Strength Gin to celebrate the Up Helly Aa Fire Festival in Shetland.I don't care who you are, think Gin will put hairs on your chest!It packs a punch and has a lovely lingering aftertaste. This is what Vikings would drink if they were Gin drinkers ? Who else has tried the Up Helly Aa gin..?
Old photograph of women carrying baskets of Peat on the Shetland Islands, Scotland. Shetland ponies ...: Old photograph of women carrying baskets of Peat on the Shetland Islands, Scotland. Shetland ponies and carts were used to transport the peat back to their cottages. The local way of life reflects the Scottish and Norse heritage of the isles, including the Up Helly Aa fire festival, and a strong musical tradition, especially the traditional fiddle style. The islands have produced a variety of writers of prose and poetry, often in the distinct Shetland dialect of Scots. There are numerous areas set aside to protect the local fauna and flora, including a number of important sea bird nesting sites. The Shetland pony and Shetland Sheepdog are two well-known Shetland animal breeds. Other local breeds include the Shetland sheep, cow, goose, and duck. The Shetland pig, or grice, has been extinct since about 1930.Britain, United Kingdom, Scottish Blog, About, Activity. Activities. Adventures, Advice, Alba, Amazing, Ancestry, Around, Attraction, Attractions, Backroad, Backroads, Beautiful, Best
One of Shetland’s biggest events (that doesn’t involve fire!) is the
Shetland Folk Festival (3rd - 6th...: One of Shetland’s biggest events (that doesn’t involve fire!) is the Shetland Folk Festival (3rd - 6th May 2018). The incredible roster of artists includes some of the best local and visiting musicians there are, performing at venues throughout the isles. You can even begin the fun on board the Aberdeen to Shetland ferry during the unofficial opening in the middle of the North Sea!They have announced the first 12 of their visiting acts for 2018!#Shetland #ShetlandFolkFestival #ShetFolkFest18 #SFF2018 #Music #FolkMusic #Scotland #ProudSponsors